Friday, April 10, 2009

Blessings.... in the one pound variety.

I have a friend. Her name is Kammy. We met about 34 years ago. I have memories of eating mustard sandwiches in my big orange beanbag and of playing "Donny and Marie." I know she was a good friend, because she always agreed to be Donny.

We have been there through happy and sad, - sickness, death, marriage, divorce, births of our children - we have seen it all. There have been long periods of time (too long) that we haven't been there. But, right now, we ARE there.

Kammy had a baby (her third) on April 5, 2009. His name is Austin Shawn. He was born at 27 weeks gestation. He weighs 1 pound, 1 ounce. He has Downs Syndrome. As I was sitting in the NICU with Kammy and Austin yesterday, I realized that no matter where this journey leads Kammy and her family, Austin is remarkable. He is a blessing. Her road will be long for sure, it will also be painful. But, there is no escaping the fact that God's hand is in this. I hope for a happy ending. But, right now, that seems so very far away. Thoughts and prayers are always helpful. So, if you are reading this, please send some for Kammy, Austin, and their family.

1 comment:

Andrea said...

I will pray for your friend. What a tremendous struggle,and blessing all rolled in to one.