Monday, June 8, 2009

Meeting a mentor...


Nearly 16 years ago, I was at a low in my life. I was homesick, worried, and lonely. My testimony in my church, and my faith in God was wavering. I was given a book. "Lighten Up" written by Cheiko Okazaki changed my life. Through this amazing book, I was able to find my faith again -- not only in my God and my religion, but in myself.

The years have passed quickly. Sister Okazaki has written several more books. All of which have filled me and taught me more than the one before it. Because of these fine books, I am a better mother, a better wife, a better friend, and a better daughter of God. I have read each book, taken notes, and worked to apply Sister Okazaki's happy attitude and simple faith into my own life. Truly, she has taught me much.

On Saturday, I was given a gift that few people ever get. I met my heroine in person. I sat and listened to her speak. And then I met her, hugged her, and thanked her for all the wonderful things she has taught me. It was a sweet moment for me. And once again, Sister Okazaki inspired me, encouraged me to find joy and give it to others. She reminded me that its the simple joys in life that bring true happiness. She encouraged me to be content, find happiness and peace where I am at, and then to share it with others. Her life has been one of a true saint. And me? Well, I can say I met her. Right now, I can't ask for much more.

4 comments:

Sherry said...

WOW!!! That's awesome. I remember the wonderful talk you gave at Sister's Conference and you got me hooked on her book then. I'm so happy for you I know how much you loved her books. Out of all her books, Lighten Up has been my favorite

KW said...

That is so great you were able to meet her. I will have to read her books, I don't think I have read any of hers yet. Thanks for the recommendation.

Andrea said...

What a great opportunity. I will have to look for those books.

Anonymous said...

Leila, Don't you just love that people like this heroine of yours were put on earth. The way Russ was called to the bishopric and well you were my saving grace and turned my attitude towards the lord, I am glad this woman influenced you bc in turn you influenced me. Love and miss you.